Thursday, December 3, 2009

My First Intubation Experience


Today is my turn to go to the OT. As usual, my partner don't come. Luckily I am not alone because Ummu join me..yea!!

I didn't expect Prof.Ikram came today. He taught us about complication of excessive CSF leaking, how to prevent, how we manage,etc..Then,Prof. offer me to do intubation which I never imagine of having the oppurtunity to do it before graduate. I mean...everyone eager to do it except me because I know later I will have to do it when I become a doctor. I have practised it on the model. But of course doing it on the real human body is different.

At first, I thought we will loose the chance of doing the procedure because Prof. went out to another OT while we waiting for the patient to come. But we are lucky because Prof. came back on time. I guest it is my lucky day. Alhamdulillah...The patient I got has no teeth. So, it was a good patient for a beginner like me. Bofore, put in the laryngoscope, I put on mask with volatile agent on the patient's face first until the patient sleep. Mantaining the head tilt chin lift caused my shoulder became very painful. Now I know how is it like when do it. It isn't as easy as it looks.

Then,I start the intubation by puting laryngoscope into patient's mouth. It was so hard to start the intubation because I never imagine of how we should push aside the real tongue in order to look for the vocal cord. Then, when I saw the vocal cord, I just insert the endotracheal tube and get the gas connected to it. I felt so relieved after felt so nervous while doing intubation.

I thank Prof.Ikram so much for giving me the oppurtunity of doing intubation today. It was such a great and valuable experience.

However, I can not say this is the total lucky day for me because I lost RM 80 in the OT's changing room. How could the thief did this to me...uhuhu...I only notice it when I wanna buy lunch at Persint 9. It is all fated and I accept everything. Thank you Allah for everything. InsyaAllah, tomorrow will be better than today.

No comments:

Post a Comment